Subject: reaching ddb via Stealth Serial Port on G3 b&w
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@NetBSD.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <wanker4freedom@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/03/2005 15:53:13
hi list,

after weeks of waiting for my serial cable components (the soldering
iron powered always powered on to get to work ASAP ;) i gave up.

but i found that my PowerBook G3 <-> misc. networking stuff (Lucents &
Ciscos) cable should work to make a connection from my Octane to my
girlfriends G3 b&w, which features a Stealth serial port :)

now, i'm a bit confused what to do to get/stay connected when the
booting kernel fails (see [1])...

i guess that i can do this by tweaking the kernel config (see [2]), i
do not need to set OF to output on the serial port [3]...?

if so, the manual says that the Griffin Stealth uses the scca device --
how do i configure this in the kernel configuration?

is this sufficient?

   #options 	DDB			# in-kernel debugger
   #options 	DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100	# enable history editing

and uncomment (or add) the following three lines:

   options 	KGDB		# remote debugger
   options 	"KGDB_DEVNAME=\"com\"",KGDB_DEVADDR=0x3f8,KGDB_DEVRATE=9600
   makeoptions	DEBUG="-g"	# compile full symbol table

is wonder because the remote debuggers' device name is 'com', and i
don't know whether 0x3f8 fits in.

i'd really like to know (and supply the results, so that developers can
work on it if it's a problem, which i guess because it appears on my G4
as well as on my G3) what's going on there...

thanks in advance & best regards,

timo

[1] -- http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2004/11/23/0007.html

[2] --
http://www.netbsd-fr.org/mirror/Documentation/kernel/
kgdb.html#instructions

[3] -- http://netbsd.binarycompass.org/Ports/macppc/faq.html (Open
Firmware 3 using a serial console)

--
Timo Schoeler | http://macfinity.net/~tis
//macfinity -- finest IT services | http://macfinity.net

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary
and those who don't.