Subject: Re: OpenFirmware 3 Boot Problem
To: Makoto Fujiwara <makoto@ki.nu>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/26/2005 18:05:08
On Feb 25, 2005, at 12:10 AM, Makoto Fujiwara wrote:

> Daniel> 1: Apple_partition_map Apple                 63 @ 1
> Daniel> 2:           Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Boot    112640 @ 64       (
> 55.0M)
> Daniel> 3:          Apple_Boot eXternal booter    17408 @ 112704   (
> 8.5M)
> Daniel> 4:           Apple_UFS NetBSD_root      1031168 @ 130112
> (503.5M)
> Daniel> 5:     Apple_UNIX_SVR2 NetBSD_swap      4194304 @ 1161280  (
> 2.0G) S1  SFS k0  (swap)
> Daniel> 6:          Apple_Boot eXternal booter    17408 @ 5355584  (
> 8.5M)
> Daniel> 7:           Apple_UFS NetBSD_usr      72767168 @ 5372992  (
> 34.7G)
>
> (1) Try to get ofwboot.xcf run first, ignore netbsd / root stuff
>
> (2) Try not using the partition # first
>
>    boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf
>
> (3) If (2) doesn't make it, try all numbers,
>
>    boot hd:2,ofwboot.xcf
>    boot hd:3,ofwboot.xcf
>    boot hd:6,ofwboot.xcf
>
>    ( or all numbers 1 thru 7, I am afraid)
>
> (4) If you get ofwboot.xcf to run, then you try netbsd / root stuff
>    (using the way you got above)
>
>   boot hd:,ofwboot.xcf hd:4/netbsd

Appears, that my HFS partition was messed up. Reformated it (HFS again)
and put ofwboot.xcf back on it. Now I can boot with

     boot hd:2,\ofwboot.xcf hd:4,/netbsd

or

     setenv boot-device hd:2,\ofwboot.xcf
     setenv boot-file hd:4,/netbsd
     boot

Thanks all.

Now I'm off to compile a new kernel, since the default kernel does not
see the keyboard on my Mac mini, even though the install kernel did.

/Daniel