Subject: Broken 1.6.2 ld.elf_so
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/24/2005 04:31:41
Hi,

1.6.2 appears to be broken, at least for 604 processors. On a 603e system,
I was able to run build.sh and install an entire new system and run it,
but at least since last summer, I cannot do this on a 604ev system.

When the 604 system gets to the point where it'd install
libexec/ld.elf_so, it starts dumping core everywhere:

STRIP=/usr/tools/bin/powerpc--netbsd-strip /usr/tools/bin/nbinstall  -c -p
-r -o root -g wheel -m 444  ld.aout_so.cat1
//usr/share/man/cat1/ld.aout_so.0
install ===> libexec/ld.elf_so
STRIP=/usr/tools/bin/powerpc--netbsd-strip /usr/tools/bin/nbinstall  -c -p
-r -o root -g wheel -m 555   ld.elf_so //usr/libexec/ld.elf_so
Illegal instruction - core dumped

If I move the new ld.elf_so from the 603e system to the chroot, the system
becomes happy again.

So - the question is this - what's broken that would cause or allow
ld.elf_so to be compiled differently between a 603 and a 604 system?

Both are 1.6.2, both are running a new kernel compiled this month, and
both have new src trees (-rnetbsd-1-6). No CPU optimizations are used.

Ideas?

John Klos