Subject: powermac 4400 troubles and 3com ethernet
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/22/2005 12:37:31
Hey all,

since that pesky realtek fives me always trouble (or at least, I have
ethernet torubles, maybe unrelated to RTK) and I came into possession of
a 3com card...

I decided to try a swap.

I need to take the box, attach cables, montitor and all that tedious
stuf...
I slam in the 3com card which is an EtherLink XL PCI, 3c900 combo.

Boot... and I see that the card is recognized in dmesg but "not
configured". Why that? Is the card possibly broken? or unsupported?

anyway I open the box again, slam in the rtk... and the box doesn't boot
anymore.
It makes the "bong" sound, the disk spins up, the ethernet lights light
up, but nothing more.
Even zapping pram doens't make the double bong sound. The video remains
ptich-black and the serial console too.

Did I ruin it?

I tried pulling out the ethernet card but it did not help.

Bang.

-Riccardo