Subject: Re: OF console unpredictable
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/13/2005 01:23:25
In message <fbcb635986caa7c60f371c78705f491a@earthlink.net>, Michael writes:
>That's weird, it should always pick the Sun font ( and on my iBook G4
>which uses very similar hardware as far as I can tell it does )

Yeah.  It's done it every time but one.  But that one time really surprised
me!  (Actually, I liked it better in some ways.)

>Do you have the ofdump2 utility?

Nope...

>If you don't have the utility please tell me and I'll mail it to you.

Okay.  Thanks!

This is looking cool.  I finally realized that my horrific X display problems
were a result of X -configure not probing my DDC monitor, so it didn't know
anything about refresh rates.  Having set those, I discover that it works
beautifully.  Now all I need is sound!  :)

>Good question, I usually have auto-boot? set to no for precisely this
>reason, but there's certainly something better.

I assume I can just pass in arguments, then?  I'm coming from the x86
world, where the boot loader is configured for a delay.

So, before I send-pr this:  If there's no root filesystem (say, if a total
moron commented out the wdc* at pci? line), the kernel prompts for a root
device... Before it powers on the USB keyboard.  Is this a feature?

-s