Subject: Re: Recommendation for Mac hardware wanted
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/10/2005 14:26:46
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 08:27:47PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> Most do, NewWorld Macs should be a bit easier to set up.

see below.

> The LX has a 50MHz MicroSPARC if I remember correctly - any 604(e)
> should be faster, most 603s too, at least in CPU terms.

don't knock the microSPARC too much, that LX can haul an amazing amount
of butt for being only 50Mhz.  :)

> >2.) Support for serial console
> All OldWorld PowerMacs, some Performas and the beige G3. Later Macs
> don't have serial ports.

since serial console is a requirement, i'd recommend an old world mac
and use those PCI slots to get FastE or USB.  just my $0.02 though. ;)

> I guess your best bet is an OldWorld desktop Mac, maybe a 7300, it has
> onboard SCSI, Ethernet ( although only 10MBit ), can take a lot of RAM
> ( 1GB ), 3 PCI slots so adding USB and probably IDE shouldn't be a
> problem and it has the usual OldWorld CPU slot so you can upgrade it up
> to a G4 or use whatever fanless CPU you want and serial console should

i fail to see how that isn't the perfect machine for him.  ;)

> just work. You may have some hassle with OpenFirmware though, it should
> have 1.0.5 which is known to be a bit touchy. I'd also recommend to run

i've become quite familiar with 1.0.5, so if any help is needed..... ;)

> a -current kernel on this kind of hardware, it contains a LOT of
> improvements that didn't make it into 2.0.

other than gnucash no longer working (for whatever fscking reason) the -current
kernel has done a far better job than the 2.0 kernel for me.  especially when
i burn CDs.  burning a CD under 2.0 will hang the machine every time.  burning
a CD under -current has been flawless everytime so far.

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."