Subject: Trident video - possible?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <wysoft@extremecode.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/09/2005 22:52:25
I recently decided on a whim to stick a Trident ProVidia 9685 card into my
7300. I didn't expect anything to happen, but lo and behold, it is
recognized by OFW, NetBSD, and XFree86. OFW displays a device tree
for it, I can 'dev' into its node, and it even looks like it has Apple ROM
drivers ("AAPL" something shows up under .properties). NetBSD also sees
it, and binds wscons to it, though the display never gets initialized.

The dissapointing thing is that, although XFree86 picks up on the card, it
can't seem to mmap the device. At least that's what it says. Sorry, I
can't grab the error message at the moment.

So, is this normal behavior for an unspported video card, or is there some
possibility of getting this to work? If it would help, I can reply with
the full XFree error log, and even the OFW device .properties.

I'm new to macppc, and would like to use X on this thing. It's fairly
snappy, but Xmacppc hurts my eyes.