Subject: Re: Booting 2.0 on a Mini
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/06/2005 17:15:52
On Feb 6, 2005, at 5:01 PM, Peter Seebach wrote:

> I am being totally stumped.  I have found a whole bunch of different
> documents
> which refer to versions at least as far back as 1.6.1, and I have not
> been
> able to form a cohesive view of things.

Huh?  None of the NetBSD-related documents released prior to Jan 2005
mention the Mini.  What's the confusing part that's within the scope of
documentation that can be fixed?

> The Mini has a fairly recent version of Open Firmware.  My
> understanding
> is that I should be able to access an Apple UFS filesytem from Open
> Firmware.

Nope.  OpenFirmware doesn't support UFS, only netboot, MS-DOS,
ISO9660,, and "sector zero" bootloaders.  Open Firmware 3 systems also
support HFS/HFS+, but the "sector zero" bootloader doesn't seem to work
with the technique we use to create it on pre-OF3 systems.

> I can probably do it with HFS+... But if I do that, then I have no
> obvious
> way to copy new kernels in.  ?

Make an HFS (non-plus) partition and use pkgsrc/sysutils/hfstools, or
muck around with ISO9660 or MS-DOS file systems.  No one who
understands the boot process has found enough time to get a better
bootloading system working.

   -- MW