Subject: Re: ofb proposal
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/30/2005 12:49:07

Hello,

> Holy cow, that is fast! And color works too!
Cool :)

> On my Beige G3 it reports only 2 MB but I do have the optional 4 MB RAM
> upgrade installed to bring it to 6 MB, not that it really matters
> outside
> of X, but just for completeness.
Hmm, I guess it would matter - on Riccardo's 4400 XFree would only use
1 or 2MB of VRAM and he said he has some upgrade installed too.
So I wouldn't be surprised if XFree doesn't see the upgrade either. Did
you try XFree? On sparc64 it works without changes, so I guess it
should just work for you too.

> This is the onboard Rage IIc+DVD
> (according to the chip label) There's a 2" black area above and below
> the
> text but I assume that's font related.
>
> machfb0 at pci0 dev 18 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage I/II
> (rev.0x9a)
> machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0x82000000, 4 KB registers at 0x00000000
> machfb0: 2048 KB SGRAM 62.778 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 170 MHz
Hmm, I'll have a look at the code that detects VRAM size, maybe there's
something obvious but I doubt it - I mainly used XFree as reference
since I couldn't find any real docs and ATi didn't answer my request
for documentation.

> us  : ff8482f0
> inst: ff8d7ec0
> node: ff8482f0
> machfb0: initial resolution 1024x768 at 8 bpp
> wsdisplay0 at machfb0 kbdmux 1: console (default, vt100 emulation),
> using
> wskbd0
> wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
Looks good :)

> The wallstreet is a little more unhappy:
>
> machfb0 at pci0 dev 17 function 0: ATI Technologies 3D Rage LT Pro
> (rev.
> 0xdc)
> machfb0: 16 MB aperture at 0x82000000, 4 KB registers at 0x00000000
> machfb0: 4096 KB SGRAM 30.681 MHz, maximum RAMDAC clock 230 MHz
> us  : ff84c2d8
> inst: ff8d99c0
> node: ff84c2d8
> machfb0: initial resolution 1600x1200 at 8 bpp
>
> The external monitor shows the same symptoms as the LCD at 1024x768x8.
> The
> test goes out to the screen, but it won't scroll. So I end up with
> lines
> overwriting lines at the bottom of the screen.
Ah, so it got the resolution wrong. This shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Do you have the ofdump2 utility installed? If you do please send me the
output of ofdump -p.
If you don't have it I'll send it to you ( as binary or source,
whatever you wish ).
Is the reported amount of VRAM correct?

>  top will display but nothing will scroll or clear from the screen.
It will probably scroll at some point and this may lead to some other
weirdnesses... I'll try to figure out why it got the initial resolution
wrong. So far it tries to read it from the chip itself which works fine
on my U10 and obviously the G3, but apparently things are different on
flat panel output. Let's see how XFree handles it.

have fun
Michael