Subject: Re: do i keep NetBSD on this box?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/25/2005 07:20:47
On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 10:45:07PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:
> >> so, what is the XKeysymToKeycode stuff[?]
> > Probably - I'll check what it does here.  Unfortunately my knowedge
> > of lowlevel X11 stuff is rather limited so someone else should
> > comment this :/
>
> Keyboard handling is one of the funkiest parts of X.

AMEN!  :)

> Now, I can explain what XKeysymToKeycode does: it searches the
> keycode-to-keysym mapping table looking for a keycode that maps to the
> keysym you pass in.  (The doc I have for it does not specify what
> happens if multiple keycodes map to that keysym; I suspect it just
> picks one - probably the highest or lowest or some such, though since
> it's not specified depending on it is a Bad Thing.)
>
> Whether this actually helps you, of course, is a completely separate
> question.  I hope it helps at least to the extent of alleviating some
> confusion and/or incomprehension.  I'll be happy to go into more detail
> if desired.

*more* detail?  ;)

it helps if you can answer some questions about why XKeysymToKeycode is
being invoked in two cases, but not in the other two.

all four arrow keys have xmodmap entries, how is it that only two get the
XKeysymToKeycode remapping?  i'm going to see about adding the new mapped
keycodes to the xmodmap file and see what happens (maybe things blow up!)

also, how do i get the keyboard lights to function?  pressing capslock does
the right thing and capslock is enabled, but the light never comes on.
very annoying in vi.  ;)

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."