Subject: Re: Radeon 7000 works!!!!!!
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/20/2005 14:48:50
Brian Hechinger wrote:

> Many, many thanks to Michael and Tim for all the work they've done
> helping
> me get this thing working.
>
> And work it does!!
>
> Things needed to get it to work:
>
> 1) Download the ATI firmware and install the 1.19 version, not the
> 2.08 version.
> 2) get a copy of the -current kernel (this doesn't work for 2.0
> kernels)
> 3) get a patched ofb.c from Michael (i hope to see this in -current
> soon)
> 4) put 'options OFB_FAKE_VGA_FB' and 'options OFB_ALLOW_OTHERS' in
> config file
> 5) build new kernel
> 6) get Michael's XFree86 bits
> 7) BE HAPPY!!!

great! my G4 runs a Radeon 9000 happily, and i've got a G3 b&w with
Radeon 7200:

ofb0 at pci0 dev 16 function 0: ATI Technologies Radeon 7200

i think i'll give it a try ;)

> i still need to double check if we just did something silly when
> trying to get
> this to work with the 2.0 kernel, but that will be later today.
>
> so, that now leaves me needing to solve the next set of problems. ;)
>
> Michael sent me a copy of his .xmodmap for his Extended II keyboard
> (which I
> have not had a chance to try yet) and I was wondering if that will be
> a good
> match for my AppleDesign Keyboard, or of someone had a better one for
> this
> keyboard.

yes, i'm working on this, too. mine are Apple USB keyboards (with power
button, i.e. the pre-Pro generation) and german layout.

> the other larger problem being the Kensington Orbit Trackball.  for
> some reason
> the left button works fine, but the right button has been mapped as
> the middle
> button, so i have no right button, and since i use blackbox, that's no
> good. ;)
>
> what can i do to get this thing to work properly?
>
> -brian

regards,

timo