Subject: Re: post installation issues
To: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?\"Andr=E9_Skarzynski\"?= <andresk@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/10/2005 10:56:01
Hi Tom,

That is great. See my comments etc below;

On Sunday, January 09, 2005, at 10:48AM, Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>I've just installed netbsd 2.0 on my macppc 9500/200!
>http://images.bite.lt/banga/files/club/41e109155240a.jpg
>and there are few issues so far.
>I'm having trouble accessing cdrom and floppy (I can't
>even see floppy on dmesg)

At this stage, floppies are not supported in NetBSD/macppc, except for booting.

>here's my boot output:
>
>Open Firmware, 1.0.5
>To continue booting the MacOS type:
>BYE<return>
>To continue booting from the default boot device type:
>BOOT<return>
> ok
>0 > setenv auto-boot? false  ok
>0 > setenv load-base 600000  ok
>0 > setenv real-base F00000  ok
>0 > setenv output-device want_to_use_serial_please ok

I presume you are asking how to use serial terminal?
I use the following settings for serial terminal from OF

setenv output-device ttya
setenv input-device ttya

Where ttya is the "modem" port. See the FAQ for detials.

>0 > setenv input-device kbd  ok
>0 > setenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:0  ok
>0 > setenv boot-file netbsd  ok
>0 ...

[Snip ... Snip] [ remove details of booting ..]

>Starting cron.
>Sat Jan  8 15:49:12 UTC 2005
>Jan  8 15:49:14 uogiene getty[305]: /d
>NetBSD/macppc (uogiene) (tty00)
>
>login: root
>root login refused on this terminal.

Depending on the console you are using, if you want to allow root logins and prevent the follwoing message, set teh follwoing entries in your /etc/ttys as follows;

#
#       from: @(#)ttys  5.1 (Berkeley) 4/17/89
#       $NetBSD: ttys,v 1.6 2003/10/04 07:41:12 dsl Exp $
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
console "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on secure
ttyE0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   off secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   off secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown off secure

I am only shown the first few lines you need to change. Notice the console line is now enabled, "on", and the tty00 line is now "off".
This is how I have set it on mine. I am using serial console BTW.

>Jan  8 15:49:18 uogiene login: LOGIN root REFUSED ON
>TTY ttyZ0
>login: dummy
>Password:
>L ....
[Snip ... Snip]

>tset: terminal type su is unknown
>Terminal type? vt100
>Quick!!  Act as if nothing has happened!
>$ su
>Jan  8 16:27:01 uogiene su: dummy to root on
>/dev/ttyZ0
>uogiene# disklabel /dev/cd0
>disklabel: /dev/cd0c: Device busy
>uogiene# mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a /mnt/cdrom
>mount_cd9660: /dev/cd0a on /mnt/cdrom: Device busy
>uogiene#
>
>+ is there a chance to make sound work?

Well, you can enable teh AWACS drive in the kernel, (see FAQ), however, it can cause system instability....

>+ can I connect token ring with normal ethernet?

Nope. Unless you have a gateway machine between the ethernet network and Token ring.

Hope I have helped with some of your answers. Some of the stuff is in the FAQ's and online documentation on the NetBSD site.

-- abs