Subject: Re: MacOS CD Question
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/06/2005 10:15:36
On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 01:15:20PM -0500, Michael wrote:

> >will the hfs tools work?
> Probably - I don't know if Apple did any additional voodoo or if they
> just put a HFS filesystem into a data track.

as for booting, this is what i see from NetBSD of the CD:

zaphod# disklabel cd0
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Invalid argument
# /dev/rcd0c:
type: ATAPI
disk: mydisc
label: fictitious
flags: removable
bytes/sector: 2048
sectors/track: 100
tracks/cylinder: 1
sectors/cylinder: 100
cylinders: 3277
total sectors: 327693
rpm: 300
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

6 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   1310772         0    ISO9660       0             # (Cyl.      0 -  13107+)
 c:   1310772         0    ISO9660       0             # (Cyl.      0 -  13107+)
 d:   1309784       928        HFS                     # (Cyl.      9*-  13107+)
 f:         8   1310712    unknown                     # (Cyl.  13107+-  13107+)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0
disklabel: partition a: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition c: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition d: partition extends past end of unit
disklabel: partition f: offset past end of unit
disklabel: partition f: partition extends past end of unit

and more on this zip disk thing:

zaphod# eject sd1

[disk ejects, push it back in the drive]

zaphod# mbrlabel sd1
get label: Operation not supported by device
zaphod# disklabel sd1
disklabel: Can't read master boot record 0: Operation not supported by device
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Operation not supported by device

this is a new ZIP disk, and as such should have a FAT filesystem on it, yes?

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."