Subject: Re: MD/RAMDISK building revisited
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/06/2005 22:10:28
In article <20050105134039.497199c4.hockey@dialectronics.com>
hockey@dialectronics.com wrote:

> This appears to have done the trick. It is currently gz'ing the images.
> Is there a location in distrib/macppc/floppy/ramdisk that I can add this
> step?

If you are making a custom ramdisk kernel, you can prepare
a custom Makefile which use your own Makefile.makedev
rather than src/distrib/common/Makefile.makedev.

> I haven't done build.sh distribution, just tools.

To build ramdiskbin binary, some installed libraries and header
files are required. I guess you are using installed binaries on
your compile host, but it might cause source code mismatch between
installed libraries and sources used to build ramdisk binary.
I think that's the reason why Makefile.makedev doesn't use
${DESTDIR}/dev/MAKEDEV to create device files.
It's recommended to prepare full binary sets in DESTDIR, not /.
(You had been warned if DESTDIR=/ on build.sh build :-)

> It appeared to me that
> this would build all ports, when I just want to do macppc.

build.sh never builds sets for multiple ports at once.
See src/BUILDING for details:
---
     build         Build the entire NetBSD system.  This orders portions of
                   the source tree such that prerequisites will be built in
                   the proper order.

     distribution  Do a ``make build'', and then install a full distribution
                   into DESTDIR, including files in DESTDIR/dev, DESTDIR/etc,
                   DESTDIR/root and DESTDIR/var.
 :
     release       Do a ``make distribution'', build kernels, distribution
                   media, and install sets (this as per ``make sets''), and
                   then package the system into a standard release layout as
                   described by release(7).  This requires that RELEASEDIR be
                   set (see above).
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp