Subject: Re: beige g3 and scsi troubles
To: John <jhu@grex.cyberspace.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/30/2004 10:22:44
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 09:17:54PM -0500, John wrote:
>=20
> 2004-12-26 kl. 00.27 skrev John:
>=20
> i'm not quite sure how to do a manual install of the binary sets. Do I=20
> just copy the necessary sets into / and unpack them? I'm not sure if that=
=20
> would work since I'm not able to boot any of the provided 2.0 kernels=20
> except for the install kernel.=20

You don't need to copy the sets into / if you can access them while=20
unpacking (you boot off CD and they are on the CD - you're fine).

tar xzpf /path/to/sets will work. tar xzpvf will list the files.

You need the 'p' in there to preserve file permissions. Otherwise set-uid=
=20
binaries don't work (as they aren't set-uid).

For etc.tgz, I usually follow the suggestions on the etcupdate man page=20
examples:

     To update the configuration files from binary distribution sets do som=
e-
     thing like this:

           mkdir /tmp/temproot
           cd /tmp/temproot