Subject: Re: beige g3 and scsi troubles
To: John <jhu@grex.cyberspace.org>
From: Erik Hanspers <erik@univits.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/30/2004 11:21:11
John wrote:
> 2004-12-26 kl. 00.27 skrev John:
>>No, the installation kernels cannot do this, as they have do not have
>>DDB (I would guess). I've only tried doing this with the 2.0 GENERIC
>>kernel, which works well.
>>If you wish to use the workaround to run 2.0 you could perhaps just
>>build from source or download the binary sets and install manually.
>
> i'm not quite sure how to do a manual install of the binary sets. Do I
> just copy the necessary sets into / and unpack them? I'm not sure if that
> would work since I'm not able to boot any of the provided 2.0 kernels
> except for the install kernel.

You need to update ofwboot to be able to load the larger 2.0 kernels. I
built this from source and used installboot on it. If you don't want to
do this yourself, I can send you the relevant files you need to do that.
  Of course, if you already have the 2.0 binary sets laying around,
ofwboot and bootxx that you need should be in there somewhere.

Once you have that working, you should be able to load the 2.0 GENERIC
kernel, so then you can try the workaround on that one.

If that works you can upgrade manually, grab the sets you need and
extract them all except etc.tgz into the root. Then read the install
notes for what you need to do when upgrading (run MAKEDEV, and use
postinstall to merge the new etc.tgz contents into your /etc)

When done, you have netbsd 2.0. You will have to continue using the
workaround each time you boot though, until the bug is fixed.