Subject: Re: need help with setting up serial link
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/29/2004 13:56:48
>> I found an adapter which I believe is a null modem it's db25 male on
>> one end and db25 female connector on the other end I found some
>> db9male-db25female
> I don't think that's a null modem.  A null modem should only have
> female connections - it should look like a modem to both sides.

In theory.  But the association of DTE with male and DCE with female is
largely dead by now - especially since so many people run serial over
completely different connectors, like DE9 or miniDIN-8 or whatever.

A null modem with male on one side and female on the other is not that
unlikely, actually; it would be used when you have two DTEs with
physically compatible connectors.  (Indeed, I've even heard the term
used - admittedly loosely argubly to the point of incorrectness - for a
four-wire gadget wiring 1-1, 2-3, 3-2, 7-7, no control signals at all.)

> I don't think the db25female is the serial port. Last time I looked,
> which was just now actually, the female plug on the computer back is
> the parallel port.

I don't seem to have seen the message this was in response to, so I
don't know whether the original post says what the machine in question
is.  But on my macppc machine, a Power Macintosh 4400, the DB25F on the
back is actually the SCSI port.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign