Subject: Re: need help with setting up serial link
To: Tomas D <u0giene@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/29/2004 10:28:55
--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

On Wed, Dec 29, 2004 at 02:14:37AM -0800, Tomas D wrote:
> thanx for reply Bill,

No problem.

> I found an adapter which I believe is a null modem
> it's db25 male on one end and db25 female connector on
> the other end I found some db9male-db25female

I don't think that's a null modem. A null modem should only have female=20
connections - it should look like a modem to both sides.

> connectors but I guess they're no use since I need
> db9female-db25female, well let's try to work this out
> with what I've got, I've tried to connect computers in
> the following way:
> mac|minidin8<-minidin8---------db25male<-db25female-db25male->db25female|=
i386

I don't think the db25female is the serial port. Last time I looked, which=
=20
was just now actually, the female plug on the computer back is the=20
parallel port. I hope you didn't fry it...

> I've tried to connect to mac from i386 using windows
> hyper terminal on which I had to choose from com1 and
> com3 connection (as far as I know I'm not using com1
> or com3, but lpt) I've tried com1 and com3 and both
> said connected but nothing happened then I've tried
> connect using cu on my netbsd machine but no luck
> again. could you please tell me how to connect to my
> mac from i386netbsd using cu, cause I believe there is
> no way to connect through lpt using hyperterminal,
> I've tried to look on the internet some programs for
> windows which can connect through lpt but couldn't
> find any. it might be that I'm not that familiar with
> serial connections and having such problems...or
> there's something wrong with my so called null
> modem...=20
> p.s. if there is no way to connect using db25 I will
> have to buy db25-db9 null modem then which I really
> don't want...

Buy the cable. You can get one for $20 bucks.

http://www.staples.com/Catalog/Browse/SKU.asp?BCFlag=3DFalse&PageType=3D1&S=
KU=3D560484

Other places have them too.

Take care,