Subject: Another way to reset corrupted open-firmware on an OF-2 machine
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bernhard_Pr=FCmmer?= <Bernhard.Pruemmer@Vodafone.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/27/2004 22:05:56
Hello,

I would like to present another remedy to an accidently corrputed
open-firmware nv-ram
- WITHOUT having to replace the p-ram battery!

I own a power mac with OF version 2.0f1 (it is the beige G3 desktop).

While trying to boot my freshly installed NetBSD 2.0 (on a separate
disk, yet unsuccessful),
I poked around in the OF variables section a bit. Let me mention that I
normally know what I am doing ;-).

I encountered the situation that OF even did not show me the prompt
when I was holding down the
appropriate keys at boot chime time.
Luckily, the mac still let me zap the p-ram contents (using
<option>-<command>-P-R).
The aim was to boot into MacOS-X again.

Here is the way that helped me out of that pinch.
It might be of some use for others as well.

- Get your MacOS-X installation CD no. 1 and insert it into your
default CD-ROM drive.
the drive door opened.
- Reboot the mac and reset the parameter ram using
<option>-<command>-P-R.
   (You know you have the press the keys down till you hear the second
chime.).
   Reboot and press down these keys to have the ram reset a second time.

Now the system should be able to boot MacOS-9 again, but the nv-ram is
problably still in such a mess
that booting into MacOS-X is not possible.
But, the system should be able to boot from the MacOS-X installation
CD, and this does the trick.

- On the next boot chime press down and hold the C key to make the mac
boot from CD.
   While it boots, is restores the necessary nv-ram settings, and
immediately re-boots a second time,
   as you might remember.
- Now, you can either let the mac boot into MacOS-X from CD and then
use the startup-volume preference
   pane to set your MacOS-X drive, or boot into open-firmware and type
in the correct boot-command and
   boot-device if you remember them.

When you are back in OS-X, you may have to re-apply certain settings
such as screen resolution.

This helped me without haing to open my mac and unplug the system
battery.
Please let me know if this method helps on other systems as well.
I hope you understand that I did not try the solution a second time ...

Best regards
Bernhard