Subject: Re: need testers
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/20/2004 21:27:52
Hello Tim, Micheal,

tanks for the support you are offering. I think I need to express myself
better to get  the point that I was trying to make.

I don't need -and don't want- a tweak in the kernel that just pleases me
or the specific hardware that i happen to have.
May be way to far ahead, but if the changes discussed and tried here
`materialize=B4 into -current and subsequently into a release kernel, this
will be the behaviour of the Generic and Install Kernel. Right?

So someone installing -maybe for the first time- NetBSD on a newer apple
Laptop (asuming that those come all with XGA resolution) will need to
get along with it the hole installation process until having X set up or
entering OF and doing adjustments there. All quite involved and not that
straight forward, at least from my experiance.

So what was wrong with the previous way? If it failed in some specific
cases, I would rather propose limiting the change to those cases
without coding setup and defines for hardware that I feel pretty
standard and that worked well with the previous general (?) setup.

(I've to admit I have no idea what to code was or currently is and I may
as well be wrong with attributing the ibook and its behaviour as
standard. This laptop is my only experiance with apple hardware so far).

Anyway I will try the script that Nathan provided previously to read out
the properties and post them for completeness tomorrow. A first glance
in OpenFirmware did not reveal anything that was physical dimensions or
dpi-resolution.

Hope I don't upset you.

Regards

Rudi

> At 5:30 PM +0100 12/20/04, Rudi Ludwig wrote:
> >Now imagine that on a small 12.1"  display. For reading the kernel
> >boot messages thats okay, but for aktual work or when setting up a
> >new box?
>=20
> Can you send me
>=20
> dev screen .properties
>=20
> I'll try to see if there is some property that can yield the physical
> screen dimensions. There are facilities for accomodating smaller
> physical screens.
>=20
It's not only the size almost 100 lines are difficult to read. Not
losing the line while reading, or getting back to the same point in a
text when you just moved the eyes to something different.