Subject: Re: need testers
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/20/2004 17:30:23
Hello,

> > If he's using a kernel you built, it might have the ofb.c patch that
> > I did to include 1024x768. Otherwise I have half inch (1.25 cm) tall
> > letters on my 17" screen. If this is too small on the LCDs, try the
> > following in OF
> No, I changed the code myself when tracking Riccardos font-problem - I
> suspected the ROM font to become inaccessible or something like that
> for some reason, turned out to be wrong but the change remained (
> instead of defaulting to the ROM font it first looks for an 8 pixel
> wide font and uses the ROM font only as fallback ) The font Rudi saw
> is the compiled-in FONT_VT220L8x8.

8x8 makes sense. When booting to the console I counted the lines and if
I did not mistake came to 96 lines. Which makes sense since 96 x 8 = 768
The LCD is 1024x768 pixel.

Now imagine that on a small 12.1"  display. For reading the kernel boot
messages thats okay, but for aktual work or when setting up a new box?

Luckily I have X working with graphical login (gdm1), so it doesn't
matter to me. Maybe using the ROM font and having 8x8 as a fallback?
With an RC4 kernel I counted 34 lines, well readable and matches the
display size. Was this then the ROM font?

In OF the font is also quite small, so that's a different one.

Rudi