Subject: Re: need testers
To: None <rudihl@gmx.de>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/19/2004 13:11:05
Hello,

> tried the second one _b.bz2 on an iBook Dual USB. Didn't find a fan
> though, but works and has an interesting sideeffect.
> The redrawing problem from mozilla -which looked a little like
> off-by-one pixel when scrolling downward- disappeared!
Now that's weird, I still have lots of font-related redrawing problems and random crashes in any gecko-based browser. And I don't have the faintest idea how your problem could be kernel-related, but if it's gone there's no reason to complain :)

> The only difference is the kernel, so I don't know what it is, but I
> sure will stick to that one. (can sent dmesg if wanted)
Please do that :)
I'd like to see what the rest does.

> I would expect / hope that there was something like a list command in
> OF that allowed to navigate the OF-tree.
There is - just pretend it's a weird UNIX filesystem.
Ok, the dev command acts like cd in UNIX you can omit the @address part, then OF will pick the first match. ls does pretty much what you'd expect, it lists the children of the current node - just what you selected with the last dev command. '.properties' lists the properties of the current node and 'words' shows node-specific commands.
So what I want to know is - does i2c have a 'fan' child, and if it does - what's its 'compatible' property? That's how the hardware monitor is found right now, I could easily have the driver attach to the raw IIC bus but then I'd have to hard-code the bus addresses into kernel config, so I just let ki2c scan its OF children. Please try this:
dev /uni-n/i2c
ls
... and if there's a 'fan@someaddress'
dev fan
.properties
... if 'compatible' contains 'adm1030' or 'adt7467' it should be supported, if not I'll have to dig up another data sheet.
If there's no 'fan' then the current driver has no way to find the fan/thermal controller.

have fun
Michael