Subject: cpu speed and recent kernel hangs on 9x00 machines
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/18/2004 23:24:04
Hey,

there was some talk that the cpu multiplier could be the cause ot 604xx
machines hanging. I can prove that wrong.

I applied the small patch TIm suggested for the CPU detection and so
booted a kernel on my 9600... it hangs at the scsi thing like on the
slower 9600. And I have a 350mhz cpu, so faster than some g3's...
This is today's cvs kernel for the rest

The good news is that hitting keys make the mac boot: that means it
reconggizes the external scsi disk (although in the weird order). This
is a chaneg since the last kernels tested that gave strange errors and
failed to recognize it.

Also the "use the keyboard" trick doesn't work as well as on the 9600.
sometimes it doesn't work at all. So indeed there might be a timing
problem.

Also I wanto to be sure that my cache is recongized and used. whatever
kind it is... on Kansas boards it is on the cpu doughterboard and not on
the mainboard.

more work is needed so. This interrupt thing is getting naughty.

-R