Subject: Re: dropping packets
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC1@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/17/2004 00:18:48
>On Dec 16, 2004, at 6:34 AM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>
>>> My PowerMac 7300 seems to be dropping quite a few packets (about 40%)
>>> with NetBSD 2.0 stable (generic).  I searched the list archives and
>>> read quite a few similar inquiries, and a lot of them had 7300s as
>>> well.  I couldn't really find a solution, though.  Is there one?
>>> I had 1.6.2 installed a little while ago and networking was completely
>>> unusable, dropping almost everything.  NetBSD 2.0 seems to have made a
>>> significant improvement (ftp transfers over the LAN download at about
>>> 950kbps, whereas before I was lucky to even get a connection).  I've
>>> never had to deal with any kernel dropping packets, so I'm just
>>> wondering what can be done about it.
>>
>> Is this with the original 604 installed? I run 1.6.2 on my 7300 with a Sonnet
>> G3/500, and I haven't had any problems with dropped packets through the
>> motherboard Ethernet or the second rtk-based PCI Ethernet.
>
>Yes, it has the original processor.  I do have a PowerLogix G4/500 card
>that I've used in it before when Mac OS was on the machine.  I'll put
>that back in and see if things are better.
>
>Thanks,
>chaz

Careful....

Some of these older outrigger machines had problems with the onboard
ethernet HW failling like this.  This is well documented in some of the
7200 models, but I've seen it on my own machines where it fails by simply
getting flaky.  My fix was to use a pci ethernet card.

My experience was with Mac OS 8/9, so NetBSD drivers are _not_ the
culprit. ;->

-dgl-