Subject: Re: dual-boot question
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/15/2004 11:45:38
Hello,

> ok, cool.  bootvars is what?  where?  i know nothing, keep that in mind. ;)
A MacOS tool to access OF config variables ( like boot-device, boot-path, output-device and so on ), I don't have a download link right now but it's mentioned (and linked to) a couple of times in macppc's INSTALL document ( I /think/ its name is bootvars ... )

> > Yes. I use a similar configuration, only the MacOS disk hangs on a different controller.
> ok, cool.
Well, it's the ISP1020 on the E100 card - unfortunately it has no real OF support so it can only boot MacOS. It's pretty weird anyway, so far I've been unable to get it to work in NetBSD.

> can OS9 mount ufs partitions?
No, and I don't know of any driver / extension to access them.

>i remember being able to mount ext2fs partitions from OS/2 with a third-party driver (it was how
> i get the network bits onto my non-networked version of OS/2 as the ext2fs
> driver fit on a floppy and the network bits didn't)
Yeah, I remember playing with it under Warp 4 :)

> that would be nice.  not overly nessesary, but nice none-the-less.
MacOS can access FAT filesystems, and you might want to install netatalk on some other NetBSD box ( should be in pkgsrc/net/netatalk, needs AppleTalk support in the kernel: <options 	NETATALK	# AppleTalk networking protocols> ) - that's a free AppleTalk fileserver for various UNIXish OSes - useful to move data around since MacOS doesn't support SMB, NFS and the like. There are commercial solutions to address this, but netatalk is free and at least in my opinion more elegant :)
If you have a MacOS X box nearby use 'personal file sharing' and it will export your home dir.

have fun
Michael