Subject: Re: Apple PowerMacintosh Beige G3, Revision 2, Open Firmware 2.4
To: None <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?B?QXVy6WxpZW4gR8lS1E1F?= <ag@roxor.be>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/2004 23:36:02
--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:20:55PM +0100, Aur=E9lien G=C9R=D4ME wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> Here are the instructions to boot this machine:
> <http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/models.html#g3v2>.
>=20
> Unfortunately, I have no legacy MacOS. My sole MacOSX runs only on
> a laptop with no floppy drive.
>=20
> I request a little from someone who has a MacOS version above 8.0
> running on a floppy drive machine to create a SystemDisk needed to
> flash my OpenFirmware.
>=20
> Instructions to do so are here:
> <http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/>.
>=20
> To wit, the MacOS 8.1 boot floppy did not work for me. :(
>=20
> If someone would be so kind to create a floppy with these tools on
> MacOS, dd it on a file on a Unix System, and then upload it somewhere,
> it would be nice. :)

Well, in case someone has no MacOS available, it is possible to create
the dd'able floppy image with MacOSX.

By using graphical Disk Image utility, you will get a blockdev
/dev/disk2 and a chardev /dev/rdisk2.

And then, do:

hdiutil convert /dev/rdisk2 -format UDRW -o "Disk Tools PPC"

or:

dd if=3D/dev/rdisk2 of=3D"Disk Tools PPC.dmg"

For those who have no MacOSX at all, here it is:
<http://ag.roxor.be/Disk%20Tools%20PPC.dmg>.

Nobody seems to care about that machine which is -- NetBSD talking --
"one of the hardest to boot", I hope someday this post might help
someone in the same situation like me who needed his OF patched,
but could not, because he had no legacy MacOS.

Cheers.
--=20
((__,-"""-,__))     .---.
=2E-'(       )`-.    \.@-@./    Aur=E9lien G=C9R=D4ME
    |     |       //  _  \\   Free Software Developer
    |     |      | \     )|_  Unix Sys & Net Admin
BOFH excuse #328: Fiber optics caused gas main leak

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV

--Y7xTucakfITjPcLV--