Subject: Re: MP, SP, extintr, mc, ofb
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/14/2004 15:38:45
Hello,

> My "1st-generation" Powerbook G4 runs awfully hot.  The fan scarcely
> ever comes on when I'm running NetBSD.  Will any of these power-saving
> changes being discussed lower its temperature?
Maybe. This power saving mode didn't help /that/ much for me.
I started writing a driver for the thermal monitor / fan control chip in my iBook G4, so far it can only read various sensors but I plan to add something to change the fan controller's settings ( so you could have the fan spin up at lower temperatures - provided your PowerBook uses the same chip, an Analog Devices ADT7467 )

have fun
Michael