Subject: Re: mc performance (Re: Interrupts and many slot machines)
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/13/2004 12:23:33
Hello,

> >Could it be that the mc problem also bites mainly (only?) people with 604s?
>
> Sort of - remember that I have a dual 604e card and I get 1MB/s or so, when
> I run the MP kernel with some changes to the PSL_EE stuff. I can make it
> work with the SP after resetting the media type, if I don't specify it
> first in ifconfig.mc0. I haven't had time to look at it recently, but I was
> not able to pinpoint the code that made the difference when I left off.

I strongly suspect there's something wrong in the 604 code.
- the mc problem seems to bite only people with 604s ( without your changes at least )
- the hangup at boot time when banging the keyboard helps - seems to happen only on 604s

There are probably other things and the set of known occurrences is way too small to allow any statistical analysis, but it certainly looks like that. I wouldn't be surprised if a -current kernel would just work on Brians machine but hang on yours, Riccardos, Johns... anything with one or more 604s.

btw. the current stuff works on my iBook, just as expected.

have fun
Michael