Subject: Re: Interrupts and many slot machines / ibook G3
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Rudi Ludwig <rudihl@gmx.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/12/2004 22:08:54
On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:00:17 -0500
Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com> wrote:

> I believe that all of the G3 iBooks used 740 G3s, which had no
> backside L2 cache. With the second generation G4s (>7400) they moved
> to a 256k L2 with a backside L3 cache, or at least that's been my
> understanding after researching Donald Lee's problem a couple months
> ago.
>
> tim

Maybe just a typo but the ibooks used 750s; from IBM I think.
and if I got the summary table at
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/cpu/ppc-2.ars/1
right, they all have 512 L2; at least dmesg of mine confirms that.

The question I have now: my box reports a "ki2c0 at obio0" and it has
a fan, but I never heard it run, even though the machine got quite hot
at times. Does it mean that there hides a fan somewhere behind that
interface and that it is currently uncontrolled and therefor always off?

Rudi