Subject: compiling MySQL 4.1.7 on yosemite g3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin Metcalf <metcalfkevin@fhda.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2004 10:28:49
Hi all,
I'm trying to compile MySQL 4.1.7 on my yosemite g3.  I don't know if
my error is related to the fact that I'm running this on the G3, but I
figured I would start here.

I've managed to get a decent distance into the process, but I'm stumped
on one error.

First off, System Specs:
- NetBSD 1.6.2
- Macintosh G3 blue-and-white "Yosimite" box.
- 256 MB RAM.
- 9 GB hard disk.
- Shell: Bash 2.05.2.7nb1

My errors:
First error (solved):
I finally discovered that the mysql install guide recommends gnu make,
so I downloaded and installed that.

Second error (solved):
./configure was barfing about mit-pthreads, so I looked that up, and
found out that the install required mit-pthreads support.  I downloaded
and unzipped that into the top level of the mysql folder (as per
installation instructions).

Once I had those errors fixed, I ran:
./configure --with-mit-threads
and it configured OK.  Then I ran the gnu make utility.
../make-3.80/make

At this point, I found out I didn't have perl, so I had to go
download/install that.  Then:

../make-3.80/make clean
./configure --with-mit-threads
../make-3.80/make

And now I get a new error...

In file included from syscall.S:5:
/usr/include/sys/cdefs.h:212: #error "No function renaming possible"
syscall.S:32: unterminated character constant.

I tried fooling with that line, but I can get no farther.  Has anyone
got this to work right?  I can't seem to see what I'm missing, and that
error message doesn't help me much.

If this is not the correct list to submit this inquiry too, please
advise me of the correct list.

Thanks in advance!!!
- Kevin Metcalf