Subject: Re: dead 4400
To: Timo =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=F6ler?= <eclipser23@web.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/08/2004 15:43:10
On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 03:05:52PM +0100, Timo Schöler wrote:
> yip,
>
> could be an empty CMOS battery... try to disconnect it from the logic
> board and then (leaving it disconnected) power up the machine.
>
> an almost-empty backup battery may puzzle the NVRAM that leads the
> machine to be dead.

could it make it not power up at all ?
Anyway I tried this, but it didn't help: the PSU still won't start (the fans
don't spin up, and no significant voltage comes out on the disk connectors).

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:11:17AM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
> Yes. Radio Shack calls the pram batteries 1/2 AA "double A" The lifetime of
> batteries in second generation PCI Macs is about three years, sometimes
> less.However, before spending $14 or so, double check your power cord and
> the related items.

The power cord is OK, I connected a PC to it to test (and tried 2 known-working
cords). Do you know what voltages these pram batteries are supposed to
deliver ? here I have about 1V, which looks way too low. But it should be
possible to connect standart batteries (at last for testing), the batterie
connector isn't that special.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>