Subject: Re: L2 CACHE
To: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/2004 08:18:46
Hello,

> > This leaves three possibilities or any combination thereof:
> > 1. the cache isn't 1MB
>
> well, tim's advice of underflow is better than overflow on cache
> size got me to try 512K.
>
> it works.
Well, everymac.com says there were 512kB variants of this card.
http://www.everymac.com/upgrade_cards/sonnettech/crescendo_g3_pci/crescendo_g3_400_pci.html

> i'm going to see what research i can do to figure this out.  every piece of
> documentation i can find about the Sonnet Crecendo PCI upgrade CPUs is that
> the G3's have 1MB of L2 cache that runs at 2:1.
Yes, sonnettech.com isn't helpful at all, and everymac.com is a bit disorganized - search by manufacturer finds only the Sonnet Encore cards, but if you look for G3 upgrades it shows a lot more.

What does the Sonnet software think it is?

btw. the guy who gave me my G3 card swore it would be a 500MHz part, I was sceptical because phase5 never made such a card and it turned out to be 300MHz (with different operating systems reporting everything imaginable from 275 and 333MHz, but NetBSD gets it right). I have no reason to complain though, it's still darn fast and it was more or less a gift.

have fun
Michael