Subject: Re: L2 CACHE
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/07/2004 07:29:21
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:24:37PM -0500, Michael wrote:

> This leaves three possibilities or any combination thereof:
> 1. the cache isn't 1MB

well, tim's advice of underflow is better than overflow on cache
size got me to try 512K.

it works.

> 3. it needs some other voodoo to activate (seems most probable)
>
> I think we can rule out 2. - I couldn't find a Sonnet G3 card under 600MHz that doesn't run the cache at half the CPU speed. There are a few cards with only 512kB but I guess the Sonnet software wouldn't lie to you. then there's this:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2002/09/22/0006.html
> Apparently some cards work, others don't :/
>
> According to this http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-macppc/2001/01/05/0007.html it may help to poke around with the options a bit.

i'm going to see what research i can do to figure this out.  every piece of
documentation i can find about the Sonnet Crecendo PCI upgrade CPUs is that
the G3's have 1MB of L2 cache that runs at 2:1.

hrm.

-brian
--
"Now you know why I got the everliving hell OUT of Windows administration.
Knowing it doesn't make it any easier.  It's just broken-as-designed."