Subject: Re: 604e vs. 604ev (was Re: results of the IRC debug patch)
To: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/05/2004 10:34:24
At 10:22 AM -0500 12/5/04, Michael wrote:
>Hello,
>
>> I didn't get the patch to apply as was posted, but that was unlikely to be
>> because of the patch and more the cut and paste aspect.
>Tried it - at least it didn't do anything bad for me :)

I think there was a one line difference between the code the patch was
diff'd against and what is in the tree now. All segments in the patch
failed, but I saw nothing wrong with them other than being off by one line.

>mainbus0 (root)
>cpu0 at mainbus0: 750 (Revision 2.2), ID 0 (primary)
>cpu0: HID0 8090c0a4<EMCP,DOZE,DPM,ICE,DCE,SGE,BTIC,BHT>
>cpu0: 300.00 MHz, no-parity 1MB WB L2 cache (PB SRAM) at 2:1 ratio
>
>Any chance to detect the L2 cache automatically? So far I always had to
>hard-code it into the kernel config.
>( it's a phase5/NewerTech board, MacOS doesn't see the cache either
>without some extension to configure it, but then it works just fine with
>the mainboard cache as L3 )

Yes, I wrote some code to automatically size and enable L2 caches.

http://www.dialectronics.com/PowerPC/L2Config.c

Currently I have to code in the XCOFF bootloader I've been enhancing, but I
have not put in pdisk/APM support yet. Currently it only supports MBR and
any file system Open Firmware can read.

You can test against a MD or INSTALLER kernel, though.

http://www.dialectronics.com/bootloader/boot25g.xcf

is the most recent version undergoing testing.

http://www.dialectronics.com/bootloader

gives a desciption and lists officially supported versions. If there are
problems it is because my access to a wide variety of CPUs have been
limited so I haven't been able to examine various peculiarities.

I've been too busy with the other problems to work on the bootloader stuff
for a while. I have also not decided if I want to go with adding pdisk
support to the bootloader or to make sure MBR support is up to date in
NetBSD/macppc. Old World Macs, which I do my testing on, appear to be quite
comfortable with MBR and it would eliminate bootxx for these models if one
didn't want to dual boot with MacOS on the same hard drive. Using MBR
support instead gives me more options regarding testing bootloaders, as I
feel that as much hardware as possible should be configured before the
kernel sees it (somewhat like an extension to OF, which is what would
normally enable L2 and L3 caches). I also swap CPUs from time to time and
I'd rather have the L2 configuring not hard coded into the kernel.

tim