Subject: Re: results of the IRC debug patch
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2004 08:36:41
Hello,

> >Here's my dmesg output with Tim's patch. All virqs from 1-f are used, USB
> >stopped working ( device >problem on blah, disabling port for a mouse and
> >a keyboard which worked before ) for some reason but >that may be
> >unrelated.
>
> Which patch, the one with non overlapping virqs?
I think so:
#if 0
	if (virq[irq])
		return virq[irq];
#endif
this one caused the problem.

> That shouldn't affect establishing the interrupt, as it just keeps two devices with different
> interrupt types from sharing the same virq.
In my case it led to all devices getting their own virqs.

> Did you get the mc0 error messages before you enabled the irq 2?
No, only the usual co carrier blah, which is understandable - there is no carrier :)

Something totally different - IRQ sharing doesn't seem to work very well - as you may have seen on my dmesg there's a Yamaha audio card and all the USB stuff, all on IRQ25 from the PCI bridge. Both work pretty well, but playing audio and then moving the USB mouse leads to a deadlock after a while - apparently no interrupts from this line get processed anymore. Audio loops and USB devices are unresponsive. The rest of the kernel was still working so I just rebooted.
Btw. heavy traffic on a USB disk connected to a different controller ( function 2 vs. function 0 ) didn't seem to collide with the USB mouse at all, so in this case sharing seems to work well.

Any idea?

have fun
Michael