Subject: Re: reproducible kernel panic w/ 2.0RC4MP
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/03/2004 23:02:10
At 1:11 PM -0800 12/3/04, Matt Thomas wrote:
>Since we are in the idle routine, it doesn't really matter when interrupts
>are enabled.  So enabling them before lowering IPL makes a lot of sense.

In all honesty, I think this really says a lot about the state of this
port. As has been pointed out to me, I don't know that much about Unix
underpennings, yet a bug that takes all of moving the enabling of an
interrupt to before spllower is called to fix is ignored until a newbie
like me figures out that this is keeping a CPU unable to receive external
interrupts while processing deferred interrupts. Apparently it really
_does_ matter when interrupts are enabled, and this was a really stupid
bug. You'd think the person responsible for maintaining the locore_subr.S
code would at least acknowledge that they should have caught this a long
time ago.

Is this the best effort core can put forth for the macppc port?

tim