Subject: Boot from USB HD on iBook G4?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Sebastian Brueckner <sb@thebackend.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/2004 14:40:32
Hi!

I recently got myself an iBook G4 12" and would like to try NetBSD on it
- preferably without repartitioning.

I can boot the GENRIC_MD kernel from
ftp://ftp.fr.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/unofficial/200411121400/macppc

It recognises my external USB HD (in this case an iPod) as umass0 after
I unplug and connect it again.

Is it possible to install NetBSD on a USB or Firewire HD and boot it
from there?

I worked with NetBSD on a few other platforms (x86, vax, sparc) but
never did anything with USB so I am pretty helpless.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't have the chance to look
for existing documentation properly since I only have access to a 28.8k
modem line every other day :-((

Thanks for any advice,
   Sebastian