Subject: Re: poor mc* performance revisited
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/30/2004 12:16:26
Tim Kelly wrote:

> How many people experiencing poor mc performance have a card in a PCI slot
> as well? I ask because in tracking down the MP problem, I have found that
> only two of the three interrupts in mace actually get mapped and masked
> when one or more cards are in slots. This is because in extintr.c there is
> some function overloading and when an irq is passed in for which a valid
> virtual irq already exists, that virtual irq is returned. In the case of
> mace, on my 7300 it has interrupts at 14, 2, and 3. However, as virq 1 goes
> to the second CPU, and virq 2 goes to the extra ethernet card I have
> installed, the irq 2 from mace does not get properly mapped in
> intr_establish. When intr_establish requests mapirq for (hw) irq 2, it will
> get returned 2, but that virq belongs to a different device. I don't use
> mace, so I can't say about its performance.

Well, I have my videocard and the other ethernet card (now). BUt without
videocard stuff becomes nasty to use :) 9x00 series have no onboard
video.

> So if you have a card in a PCI slot and have bad mace performance, remove
> it and see if you still have this problem.

if I jut pull it out and the video card and the second ethernet, can I
hope the box comes up 'blindly' and gives me an telnet prompt? Do I need
to resort to serial trickery?

Anyway if it is something interesting to test, I will run the path.

Cheers
  Riccardo