Subject: Re: Miro / Zoran video chipset
To: James Bilotto <jb13@gomerbud.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/26/2004 21:58:55
Hello,

> On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 10:02:51PM -0500, Michael wrote:
> > ... which raises another (stupid) question - are there any timing constraints? No docs I saw so far mentioned any. But I'd think that
> > I can't toggle the clock line as fast as I'd like to, so - how long do I need to keep the clock line up or down for a device to react?
>
> i think you should look at the MI code in sys/dev/i2c.
Ok, I'll have a look.

> as for using the bktr interface, please don't. i've been (slowly) writing
> drivers for the sun videopix & parallax powervideo cards and i was thinking
> of implamenting something like solaris' rtv interface for them.
What's wrong with the bktr interface? I didn't have a look yet and there are a lot of things I'd like to get done before returning to the Zoran driver ( like getting XFree to support more graphics hardware on more Macs ) so I didn't do a lot to it, so far it only scans the i2c bus for devices and reports what it finds ( only an SAA7110 on my card )
So, is there some sort of common interface for video devices? I didn't really find one so I just suggested the bktr one because it should serve a similar purpose and would at least be supported by a handful of applications. At least the SAA7110 should get its own driver ( if it doesn't already have ) - you can only talk to it via i2c anyway and it's used by a lot of devices which shouldn't all implement their own support for it.

If at all possible I'd like to end up with a framework of small drivers to support most video/tv/mpeg cards

have fun
Michael