Subject: Re: -current on iBook G4
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/25/2004 22:30:20
Hello,

> Yes, on all counts.  The only hitch is that the kernel does not default
> to selecting the "a" partition correctly if there's no "A/UX root".  It
> ought to default to setting whichever partition is UFS to "a" if
> there's no explicit "a".  You'll need to "boot -a", figure out which
> partition NetBSD thinks your UFS partition is, then hard-code it into
> the kernel.

So, for the records:
I have 2 HFS+ and one UFS partitions, ofwboot.xcf sits in the first HFS+ one - the MacOS X system partition, NetBSD lives happily in the UFS partition. Booting it is simpler than I thought - just boot hd:,\ofwboot hd:7/netbsd - this loads ofwboot from the first partition and the kernel from the UFS one which happens to be wd0g for NetBSD :)
( and yes, root at wd0g is in the kernel config ).
There's no swap partition, but the iBook has 640MB RAM, I have other machines with less virtual memory, so it's pretty unlikely to really need one anyway.

So, now let's tackle this pesky XFree problem...

have fun
Michael