Subject: Re: Binary packages available for 2.0
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/22/2004 08:49:46
Hi Bill,

> > Can the port freeze below 2.0 -release, and then get pulled up
> > later?
>
> Ports don't freeze, so I don't fully understand your question.

I was thinking along the lines of not pulling up, kind of a "de facto"
freeze. However...

> We certainly can pull fixes into the 2.0 branch after 2.0 ships. These
> fixes will then show up in 2.1. However what we have now will be 2.0.
> The only chance we can add fixes is if there's an RC6. I have no idea
> if there will be one. While one would be good for macppc, 2.0 happens
> for all ports at once. So any delay to fix things here delays
> everything.

the greater concern is ensuring that this port doesn't hold up the rest
of the development effort. Not that my opinion matters, but I would
argue against an RC6. If the decision is made to make this -release,
make it -release and get it out the door :-)

Would it be possible to introduce a (possibly macppc specific) cvs tag
that is not as cutting edge as -current but contains officially included
fixes?

Is there a scheduled deadline for a beta for 2.1? Say about three months
after 2.0 -release is tagged (or arbitrarily, March 1, 2005)? I believe
with the current work effort and reinvigoration of the list that many of
the issues can be resolved in that time, which would give a lot more
lead time to lock down 2.1, as least as far as macppc is concerned.

thanks,
tim