Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/2004 12:59:21
> >         Did you load the OF 1.0.5 nvram video patch listed in the FAQ /
> > Model Support Page? Video won't sync without it. Are you using an Apple
> no, I didn't load the patch. But it doesn't even try to sync, it spits
> out directly to serial console...

	OpenFirmware defaults to using the serial ports on this model.
You'll need to set output-device and input-device to the video card you
want to try from the serial console and then do reset-all. If it doesn't
come up you probably need the OFW 1.0.5 patch which means using SystemDisk
from MacOS with the patch installed into it as per the model support page.

> No I would exclude that. the monitor is 640x480 and I htink I even have
> expandend the VRAM. I can get 1024x768 @ 16bit under macos I think.

OFW should come up at 640x480 @ 60 Hz or lower on internal video if it
works on this model.

> well, since booting from floppies failed on my 9600... but well on the
> 9600 the kernel gets loaded, gives some timeouts on read and comes to
> the point of asking a second floppy.
>
> On the 8200 I get a default catch or a failed claim immediatly...

Bad floppy disks? There's no real error handling in OF so you need a
pristene disk for it to work in my experience.

> ah, is there some way to use my working 4400 as serial console? what are
> my choices for a simple serial emulator? I need also to set the port to
> 38400. Thus I could run an xterm or similar and copy&paste output from
> the 8200 when it dumps OFW to the serial console.
> CUrrently I use my PB 170 as a console... but it has no ethernet and so
> getting information out of it is cumbersome. Tips? (I hate minicom...)

I've only used Minicom under NetBSD and Zterm under MacOS. The output of
dev / ls would be useful and from the OF command dump-device-tree if it's
in OF 1.0.5.