Subject: Re: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: Kirill Levchenko <kirill@lava.net>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/21/2004 11:36:23
Hey,

> On Nov 18, 2004 Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>
> > 3. Ethernet troubles. Onboard mc0 is essentially unusable
> > workaround: get another supported ethernet card (no, don't get a RTK
> > that one works bad under  NetBSD too)
>
> What is the problem with rtk? I couldn't find PR's detailing specific
> problems. I've had some troubles with these cards myself, specifically
> packet loss rates of about 5% when connected to 10baseT link (as
> opposed to 100baseT).

I am using a RTK 8139 at 10MB and the porblem is not the performance
itself. It is that the kernel gives DMA probelms and disconnects the
card for some time, making network operation intermittent. It usually
happens when network loard is high )even if not directed to the
computer, just network load...). It is tedious.

-R