Subject: Re: RC4 Release ISO (not hybrid) available
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 20:36:17
--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:08:23PM -0400, Tim Kelly wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>=20
> >=20
> > Does this mean that an alternative way to getting into OF and setting
> > all the relevant load-base parameters and what have you is to add
> > those to a BOOT-SCRIPT and just boot the CD? (no need for a second mac
> > to use as a serial console incase the default i/o is ttyb..)
>=20
> I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that Macs capable of
> reading CHRP-BOOT scripts don't need settings to be altered (and in
> the case of OF 3.0, it's very advisable not to alter real-base and
> load-base, as storing the new values corrupts the NVRAM....)

My understanding is that CHRP-BOOT support was added in OF 3.0, and so=20
there is a 1:1 overlap; if you can read CHRP-BOOT, you don't need to=20
change settings.

Note that some of the earlier 3.0 systems didn't die if you changed=20
settings. But it is true that some do die, and that means a MB=20
replacement. :-(

Take care,

Bill

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy