Subject: Re: Binary packages available for 2.0
To: John Klos <john@klos.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 10:59:10
On Nov 20, 2004, at 10:49 AM, John Klos wrote:

> We should, yes. And someone (I forget off the top of my head) had
> integrated a CPU level emulator with a framework which passed all OS
> calls to the native CPU.

That would be nifty!  That would really help bootstrap new
architectures (like parisc).

> (50 pin half height SCSI drives are impossible to find with more than
> 9 gigs of space).

At reasonable prices, yes.  But larger SCA drives are available for
US$20 nowadays, as long as you can fit the adapter into the appropriate
space.

> I saw lockups about once or twice a month on a system which was
> pushing around 10 gigs a day. Since I've removed awacs, it has been up
> 100 days and done about 4 terabytes of traffic.

OK, so even if the problem was present on my system, it wouldn't've
shown up over the short duration of my pounding.  Hmmm.  Anyone
compared our awacs with OpenBSD's, maybe they've got it licked?

> It'd be nice to fix, but unfortunately I was never local to the
> machine when it locked. It's 3000 miles away, which makes it a pain.

Yup.  That does make it more difficult.

> I saw the same problem with a G4 running 2.0, but I put in the
> motherboard serial port at the same time I removed awacs from the
> kernel config.

So, is serial on macppc totally happy and stable?  Last I heard (a
while ago), heavy serial usage lead to interrupt issues.

   -- MW