Subject: Re: Binary packages available for 2.0
To: John Klos <john@klos.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 10:34:05
On Nov 20, 2004, at 10:24 AM, John Klos wrote:

> Very cool! pkgsrc-2004Q4 is supposed to be cut early in December, so
> we'll probably end up using that (PowerPCs are quick enough, where
> m68k, VAX, and other ports will have a lot of stuff from pkgsrc-2004Q3
> so they don't have to start from scratch). This is good in the
> meanwhile.

"Quick" is relative, of course.  Shouldn't we be able to cross-compile
packages for the popular, slow, architectures (such as m68k, arm, and
mips)?  Actually my biggest problem was disk space.  Laptop drives
don't come cheap, and we don't effectively support FireWire HDs.

> I should point out that if the system ever gets very busy (lots of
> network while compiling, let's say), having awacs will probably lead
> to a lockup. But for a local machine, that's not that big of an issue.

Hmm.  Well often I'd run several builds concurrently (e.g. downloading
one while compiling another), but my pipe to the outside world maxes
out at about 400 KB/s.  I guess that doesn't qualify as "lots of
network".

Whatever happened to Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>?  Sounded like he
was doing good stuff with the awacs driver a while ago.

>  (I wish that were clearer when I started colocating macppc machines!)

D'oh.

   -- MW