Subject: Re: Binary packages available for 2.0
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 15:33:58
Hey,

one of the things I would like to see fixed is "xdm working out of the
box"... that is make xdm=yes and a normal user added with useradd should
work. Maybe barebones, maybe not a tuned Xsession, but at least work.
Turning XDM on and then not even root can login is surely scary! if I
had no telnet I couldn't have rebooted the machine nicely. That might
scare off someone .)

> The issues I've been concerned with are being aggressively addressed.
> Matt Thomas committed a fix for the overfilling MFS partitions, although
> a different problem occurs now when the partition is 1G and overfilled.
> I'm waiting on the results from one last attempt to get the second
> mediabay on Wallstreets to play nicely when there is a hard drive in
> place, but otherwise I've got patches for proper attachment of obio and
> proper identification of the bootpath when there is more than one disk
> with a NetBSD install, plus the grackel patch that was never committed.
> Michael (macallan18) has a solid mesh patch for sync (leaving the
> default config flags to disable this for GENERIC), and he's getting a
> lot of positive results for his X patches.
Yes there is a lot of progress. But I think the works need to be tested
a lot. Although macallan18 stuff works on my 9500 for X, my 4400 seems
"reluctant"...

It would be extremely nice to see also if those patches make the IMS TT
card of the 9600 work smoothly. Unfortunately I don't have a spare drive
there and I run os-x (after runnin X-post-facto).

If someone has a good idea on how to dual-boot Os-X and NetBSD savring
and replacing each time the OF variables for example (remembering all
1.05 oddities...= I could try to find some old hard drive and at least
test the current stuff on that box. But it is every-day workstation so i
can't destroy it.

Unde Macos classic I have a env variables tool (not system disk) that
works fine with old 1.05 OF.

> The two big ones that I see are the MP kernel panics and the problem
> with X when it exits. I think it'd be good to get the disklabel issue
> fixed (picking up previous partitioning schemes even with a fresh
> install).

As my new 4400 test shows the X on exit proble doesn't always show up!
also the behavior is often very different...

-R