Subject: [Power|i]Book trackpad buttons (was Re: CVS commits for macppc)
To: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@labri.fr>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/20/2004 01:04:13
On Nov 18, 2004, at 12:58 AM, Aymeric Vincent wrote:

>> And I thought I was alone!  I just hadn't had a chance to dig into it.
>> Please send me your patch.
>
> Yup, sure. That way you'll see why I didn't commit it. ;-)

Indeed!  It should be possible to detect from the dmesg whether it's a
trackpad and do that masking step.  My dmesg is:
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: EMP trackpad <tpad> 2-button, 400 dpi
wsmouse0 at ams0 mux 0

In any case, yes, your hack does indeed fix my trackpad to make it
usable.  I filed a PR so it doesn't get lost port-macppc/28366

> My concern is that we'll have to hardcode timeouts in the kernel, as
> well as functionality such as "triple tap" or whatever. Maybe the
> cleanest way right now is to provide sysctl's to change these
> behavioural properties.

You might take a look at http://www.gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ which is a
MacOS X replacement driver for the trackpad that supports these
features.  There's also the shareware SideTrack (much better).  I
believe the trackpad features of both packages were written by
support@ragingmenace.com.

   -- MW