Subject: Re: more feedback.
To: m. kolb <muk@bender.cl.msu.edu>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 11:33:41
Hello,

> I would love to use my G4 booting NetBSD as my main workstation, but as
> I mentioned, I can't get X to stabilize on it.  It was working okay
> quite some time ago (right before 1.6) with an EDID patch from
> A. Briggs.  But since then as others have mentioned as well, it crashes
> under load.  I was not getting core files from it, and was so frustrated
> after loading/unloading various X modules w/o effect, that I gave up and
> began using my laptop (OSX) full time.
That ( or at least something very similar ) has been fixed
http://mail-index.NetBSD.org/port-macppc/2004/10/21/0006.html
To get core files you need to run the Xserver as root and enable 'NoTrapSignals' (or so) in your XF86Config, setuid'ing it isn't enough.
But if it's the ELF loader bug the core files won't help much since the crashes would come from nowhere specific.

> So again, for me, the primary problem with the platform is poor X
> stability.  I am willing to help in any fashion required of me.
Try this Xserver:
http://macallan.homeunix.org:6704/stuff/BSD/XFree86_server_macppc.tar.bz2
it has the patch mentioned above applied and is stable for me.
Exiting X is still awkward - works for me, the console is messed up but usable although it doesn't work for others.

have fun
Michael