Subject: RE: personal impression of issues on netbsd/macppc
To: 'port-macppc@NetBSD.org' <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Mottl, Thomas (SAW Enterprises) <thomas.mottl-eds@eds.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/18/2004 10:50:18
-----Original Message-----
From: port-macppc-owner@NetBSD.org
[mailto:port-macppc-owner@NetBSD.org]On Behalf Of Riccardo Mottola
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 10:15 AM
To: Tim Kelly
Cc: port-macppc@NetBSD.org

>> Yes, the installation process could be smoothed out some. What would be
>> nice is a MacOS application that did the installing, but that's
>> difficult to do.
>That is one way, but think also about how many people want to get "rid"
>of macos or don't even have macos.
>Several mac/netbsd users both in 68k and ppc are non-mac users that jsut
>rescued a non-x86 box and want to slam unix on it.
>
>I like the current install process, light and easy. I would better the
>boot process and this is a macppc problem only. The other trouble is
>partitioning...

Three good points I'd like to throw some feedback at as well.

I "borrowed" a iMac G3 (Rev A I believe) from work, It had OSX on it at the
time, but it was slow and I didn't like it.  I did a little research and
found NetBSD (being of a FreeBSD/i386 background, it seemed the logical
choice for ppc).  I had a number of problems trying to get the installer to
go, mostly partition and mount problems.  I never did get it completely
running, as they asked for it back shortly after I started posting to this
list.  They're going to be upgrading our mail server soon, and I'll have a
Blue/White G3 to play with once that happens.  Hopefully it will go a little
better.  I was trying to use 1.6.2 last time, I think I'll try 2.0 RC*
(though it'll probably be release by the time my company actually gets to
replacing the server at the rate they're going).

But I'm definitely one of those people who is just rescuing non-x86 hardware
and trying to make it run something.  I got a SGI Indigo2 one day and have
been tinkering with it, though I did finally break down and buy a copy of
IRIX to run it so I can use the video on it.  I'd like to be able to do
something similar with the mac this time around.  And like Riccardo
mentioned, once I get the machine home, I won't have MacOS to play with,
once that drive's wiped, it's gone.

Thomas Mottl
Senior FileMaker Developer - Saw Enterprises International, Inc.
EDS/NMCI FileMaker Support